8th stage: Sarria-Portomarin (23 km trails, tot. 203, 6:30 to 12:30 hours of travel). Step not prohibitive, but after 37 km yesterday and the night train has become an ordeal. The fatigue of travel days that accumulate, causing pain in all joints as possible, add the impact of the notorious pilgrims in the last hundred miles. To see a bit 'of Galicia I chose to start from Sarria, it is the last town accessible by road and train because they are sure to be in Santiago within a week. I had to imagine that my idea was not entirely original. Sarria is
about 112 km from the destination, and 100 km is precisely the minimum distranza who has to walk to get the Compostela, a document attesting to the place of pilgrimage and that someone should take account on the Day of Judgement. I do not know much about these things, but I formed the idea that the day will be a sort of traffic jam at the toll booth, and who has made the pilgrimage will be the spiritual equivalent of a Telepass. Now I really want to clarify, for the avoidance of doubt, that the Compostela hauls me a very limited extent (I'll take it and put it aside because you never know, always better to be covered also from that point of view). In truth you can not even say that I'm doing the Camino de Santiago, that is a route of 800 km, from Saint Jean and does not provide step by train. My intention was to go for a walk, my time to two weeks between screening tests and more. So I thought I'd take a walk along the route of the pilgrims for two lines, one in Castile-Leon and the other in Galicia, for a total of about 300 km. That's all.
When I saw the difference between the pilgrims met in Castile and these proceedings, I was not shocked at the lack of sense of the sacred in seconds. I was simply disappointed by the dramatic increase in the average rate of vulgarity. The former are pilgrims, tourists are the second (more negative in the sense that it can be attributed to the term). Just to clarify the difference, Pilgrims are more reflective, more original, more cordial, more civilized and more motivated (I told the workers that spend their holiday walking and then they go back to work refreshed beautiful factory. There is little to be added); tourists caciaroni are, newly arrived in Sarria go in the first shop to buy the club with attached shell and caciotta hairpieces, travel sang songs of Laura Pausini, you do the photos of smiling next to posters with symbols of the way, leave their garbage passage, sometimes not even greet, book the place in the shelters and then complain if you do not have the comfort of the hotel Hilton. They tend to have the air in search of petty di imprese da raccontare agli amici, alcuni sembra che vedano il cammino come una gara. Ci sono molte famigliole e (ahimé) moltissimi italiani. Non ne ho incontrato nessuno che sia capace di viaggiare da solo. Quasi nessuno tiene un diario.
Spero di aver reso l'idea.
Nota positiva: il paesaggio della Galizia è più bello e variegato della Meseta. Portomarin è un paese grazioso e lo visiterei volentieri, se riuscissi ancora a muovermi.
0 comments:
Post a Comment